January 2, 2013

Favorites of 2012

My list of literary 2012 favorites is ordered as I read them throughout the year, but only includes books published within 2012. (If I read an indie-pubbed book in 2011 and it was republished by a traditional publisher in 2012 - you won't find it here; I consider it to have been published when the author published it originally. These - and new-to-me faves from previous years - can be found on my Goodreads list. As an author, I don't "rate" books. If it's included, I read it and liked it.)
 
I had less time to read in 2012, and that trend will probably continue over the next several months as I meet publishing deadlines that are now contractual. My list contains the books that affected me strongly as a reader and a writer. They not only inspire me to write, but to keep trying to write better.
 
Froi of the Exiles - Melina Marchetta
 
Slammed/Point of Retreat - Colleen Hoover
 
This is Not a Test - Courtney Summers
 
Outpost - Ann Aguirre
 
Pushing the Limits - Katie McGarry
 
Fall Guy - Liz Reinhardt
 
The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater
 
Hopeless - Colleen Hoover
 
Every Day - David Levithan